Wednesday, November 1, 2017

infinitive vs gerund - I like knowing / to know things in advance




There is a very small difference in meaning between the two forms. The -ing form emphasises the action or experience. The to-infinitive gives more emphasis to the results of the action or event. We often use the -ing form to suggest enjoyment (or lack of it), and the to-infinitive form to express habits or preferences. Cambridge Dictionary



I couldn't understand what they mean by "emphasises the action" and "emphasis to the results". as example, which of the following sentence is correct?





  • I don't like surprises. I like knowing things in advance.




  • I don't like surprises. I like to know things in advance.







Answer



As the link you quoted says, it is a very small difference. It's not really a difference in meaning, but in implication. Try this example:



I like eating ice cream.


Emphasises the action or experience



This implies that the act of eating is most enjoyable. The action of eating it is the best part of the experience.




I like to eat ice cream.


More emphasis to the results



This indicates that the ice cream itself is the best part. As in, the result of having ice cream in you is what you enjoy!


Don't worry about the difference too much when you are speaking. In casual conversation, they are pretty much interchangeable.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...