Thursday, November 23, 2017

phrase request - How can I ask a person in which order in his family among the siblings?


My colleague he have two brothers. I want to know, he is first/second/third son of his parents, ie., the order in the family among their siblings.


I can simply ask



Are you first son of your family?



It simply give some predictions, I don't want to that.



Is there a better way to ask the question?



Answer



You could ask "Are you the oldest child?" (or even "eldest child"). This seems to me to be more natural. Note the use of "the" before the adjective, which you omitted.


Pedants would note that "oldest" implies at least three children. If you know that there are only two children, then you could ask whether the colleague is the older child.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...