Thursday, November 16, 2017

"Dream of" and "dream about". Is there a difference?


Are "dream of" and "dream about" interchangeable or is there a difference between them in meaning and usage.



Answer



To dream of something implies a want, a need, a desire:



I dream of traveling the world


I dream of world peace


I dream of Jeannie




To dream about something is to literally dream about something, and it's usually presented in the past tense:



I dreamt about winning the lottery


I dreamt about flying


I dreamt about being a millionaire



To use it in the present tense is more passive.



I dream about becoming rich



I dream about Jeannie


I dream about wonderful things.





To dream of uses a different past tense form as well.



DREAMED


I dreamed of having the perfect house


I dreamed of winning the lottery


I dreamed of paradise on the beach.




These have nothing to do with dreaming while asleep. They are all imagined, hoped for, dreamed of...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...