Tuesday, October 31, 2017

grammar - Single verb for multiple subjects vs multiple verbs for multiple subjects


I have different things to do. I would like to express this in a passive voice. I would like to understand the correct way to do this in English.



Suppose that a model A is given, fitted to the simulated data and estimated.



or




Suppose that a model A is given, is fitted to the simulated data and is estimated.



Do I need to repeat the verb or a single verb is enough?



Answer



You do not need to repeat the auxiliary verb:



A model is given and fitted to the data.



But I note that you do not "Estimate a model", instead you "use a model to estimate (the parameters)". So the "...and estimated" is grammatically correct, but doesn't fit the meaning. I would write




... and used to estimate ....



No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...