Tuesday, November 14, 2017

prepositions - "I've been doing this (for) a week" -- When do you leave out the 'for' when talking about duration, and when do you not?


The other day I heard someone say:



They've been going out a week; I mean, that's not (a) serious (relationship).




I wondered if she was speaking correctly, which is presumable, since she was a native American English speaker. But more often I here the for when people talk about duration. So is it also possible to leave out for? Maybe only in the informal register?


EDIT: There was a heavy stress on the word week. Does it play a role in this matter?


EDIT#2: ... OK. It's more suitable as an answer.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...