Thursday, November 23, 2017

translation - Meaning of expression " blanket rationale "



I strongly agree with this point, and don't buy the blanket rationale that speed trumps everything in a startup.



I couldn't find its meaning anywhere, what does blanket rationale mean?



Answer



A blanket statement is a generalization - something that covers everything, like a metaphorical blanket. There is an implication when using "blanket statement" that it may be an over-generalization. For example, "Snow is cold" is a fact; "Nobody who lives here can drive safely in the snow" is a blanket statement, and most likely not completely accurate.



A rationale is a justification, a reason to make a decision. For instance, I might put chains on my tires, and my rationale might be that heavy snowfall is predicted.


So, to put the two ideas together, a blanket rationale is a justification that may be based on an overgeneralization. In your example, the speaker believes that many startup companies justify decisions based solely on speed, and implies this is a flawed argument.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...