Saturday, November 25, 2017

meaning - Difference between "Have Thought", "Have Just Thought" and "Just Thought"?



I was told that use of present perfect is incorrect in the context below as thinking action is discrete event and there isn't any relevance with the current situation. (Context is a situation where I've been looking for my keys for the last couple of minutes and my friend informs me where the keys are. Just a minute ago my friend informs me the same information comes to my mind)


My friend: The keys are on the desk.


Me: I have thought the same thing.


I was told that instead of "I have thought the same thing" it is correct to use "I thought the same thing" or "I was thinking the same thing."


My questions then concern the two examples below:


Example 1


My friend: The keys are on the desk.


Me: I have just thought the same thing


Example 2


My friend: The keys are on the desk.



Me: I just thought the same thing


Similar to the use of "I have thought the same thing" is Example 1 incorrect to use (present perfect + Just)? Does present perfect fit semantically in this context with or without time adverb "just"?


Can I use Example 2 (simple past +just)? Because several resources indicate that present perfect + just and simple past +just essentially mean the same thing. Is there any semantical difference between Example 1 & Example 2?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...