Friday, October 14, 2016

grammar - Two questions about the verb "knock"



Consider (Source):




  1. A goldfinch flew across the field, struck the glass and was knocked inert.

  2. The large birds flew together and struck the glass; they were knocked into a stupor.





Question 1 : Would you tell me how the adjective can be used after verb in sentence #1? I am saying that since I never saw the verb knock being used as a linking verb.


Question 2: As far as I know, stupor is a state and knock someone into something means to make someone strike something. Has the verb knock used figuratively? I want to know more about it.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...