Friday, October 14, 2016

grammaticality - "I had better go now." or "I have better go now."




Why did the writer use "had"? Why didn't he use "have?



Well, thank you for showing me a great dance. I had better go now.




Answer



The construction had better + the infinitive without “to” is used to refer to the present or the future, talking about actions we think people should do or which are desirable in a specific situation.


Saying "I had better (do something)", as was noted in the previous answer, the speaker seems to be urging or persuading him/herself to take some action.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...