Sunday, October 23, 2016

phrase usage - Does "medium appearance residential buildings" express that the buildings are somewhat aged and worn out?


Is "medium appearance residential buildings" correct? Am I not sure it's correct or not?


Is it the representative of "aged and worn out residential buildings"? How else might I express this? I want a phrase that combines semi-aged and semi-worn out in one.


I am writing a scientific paper. I categorized buildings by their qualitative state in three classes. I simply want a good name for those classes. those classes were good appearance buildings, medium appearance buildings, and decayed buildings. (In the case of repair, quality of material and how rusty they are - just physical appearance.) But I think this combination is not good for repeated usage in my text.



Answer




You want qualitative terms. I'd suggest:



Well-maintained


Needing repair


Beyond repair (in a state of ruin and should be demolished)



P.S. You might consider a fourth category to be inserted above "Beyond repair", namely "Salvageable", which means "in need of a great many repairs but not in ruin yet, and worth saving". As it stands, the middle category of the three is extremely broad.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...