Monday, October 10, 2016

word usage - What is the difference between "general" and "generic"?


I am finding an example to clearly differentiate and demonstrate the use of these two words. At the moment, I am relying more on my feelings to decide which word to use. Say I am writing an article that talks about a solution or framework, should I say:



  • It is a general solution to kill computer virus.

  • It is a generic solution to kill computer virus.


I want to show that the framework is normal, does it job, nothing fancy and that's about it. If the two sentences above are correct, what are the perceived meaning of each sentence?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...