Sunday, October 9, 2016

pronouns - Tom is taller than I?



In this question, in one of the comment threads the following was stated



Tom is taller than me" or "Tom is taller than I am" — both are correct. "Tom is taller than I" is WRONG` (link)



Which I'd agree with. This comment is disputed with



That is very arguable. More used? Definitely. Wrong? Not if you consider "than" as being a conjunction, in which case the last part of the phrase "Tom is taller than I [am tall]" is elided.



So is it really grammatically acceptable to use the following?




Tom is taller than I




Answer



If I is some physical unit, variable, or measure, it might - or might not - be correct. Grammatically, you have to use an object pronoun. me, you, him, etc. This is quite standard, me thinks.


But have a look at: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/than-i-versus-than-me


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...