Sunday, October 9, 2016

word usage - "all of the balls" or "all the balls" in the box?


I answered a question just now



Given a set S = {x, y, z}, then all the possible subsets of S are


{}, {x}, {y}, {z}, {x, y}, {x, z}, {y, z}, {x, y, z}


where, {} denotes the empty set.



I used all the possible there, and then I realized all of the possible may be better, but I am not so sure.


Similarly, following expressions




expression_1: all the balls in the box


expression_2: all of the balls in the box



Which one (or some other expression) is more idiomatic and clear?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...