Saturday, October 22, 2016

word usage - "Take" vs "take away"


To take away can mean: to get a particular message or piece of information from something you read or are told.


Example:




  • What I took away from his talk is that going to university is definitely worth it.



My question is that whether normally people use "take away" or just "take" without "away"?



Because I know that both simple and phrasal verbs are used in this sense, but I doubt if one of them is more common or somehow more informal...


i.e. in my provided example above, substituting the sentence with the following sentence will change the message?




  • What I took from his talk is that going to university is definitely worth it.



For me, both of the sentences convey the same meaage.


Please let me know about them.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...