Monday, October 31, 2016

spelling - Words to Disambiguate Alphabet Letters from Others


Dictating e-mail/website addresses each one letter by one on a phone call is always challenging for me. I found that listeners often misspell certain letters like B/D/V because the pronunciation is distorted.



With a list of 26 words that represent each alphabet letter, if any, communications are going to be easier:



I: R-A-N-D-O-M-A-L-P-H-B-E-T.


Listener: (Simultaneously) R-A-N-D-O-M-A-L-P-H... wait. D or B?


I: It's B. B of 'black'.



'Black' is a quick example of my own but seems good enough because 'black' is simple, easy, and there's no word such as "vlack", "dlack", "glack", etc.


I'd love the list of words like 'black' if there is already one in common use.



Answer



What you are describing is called a phonetic alphabet.



There are a number of common phonetic alphabets used in the English language.


One of the most popular ones is the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) alphabet, commonly called the NATO phonetic alphabet. See https://wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_phonetic_alphabet for a complete reference.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...