Thursday, January 30, 2020

tense - Until I went to army, I (had been / used to be / was ) a introverted person. - which one is right?




Until I went into the army, I (had been / used to be / was ) an introverted person. And after I I finished army service, I became more confident.



I think all of these are possible.


As for had been, I'm referring to the state of me being introverted before the accident that happened in the past. So, I think I can use had been.


And at the same time I feel I can use used to be and was.. If I don't want to emphasize the time gap between two accident, I feel I don't need to use past perfect. So I think this problem depends on how I'm going to say something.


which one is preferable? and what is the difference?



Answer



The use of "had been" sounds a bit unnatural in the sentence. I think you should use either used to be or was as follows:


I used to be/was an introverted person until I went into/joined the army.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...