Saturday, January 18, 2020

word difference - 'to' versus 'in order to'



Is it always possible to just use 'to' instead of 'in order to'?


What is actually the additional information provided by 'in order to'?


I understand in order to as meaning that the aforementioned action comes first (in order) and thus enables the subsequently mentioned action.


So we have the order: 1st action allows 2nd action.


But isn't this always the case, even when using 'to' in order to describe a following action that requires the aforementioned action?


I find it quite difficult to explain what I mean, particularly because I do not know what clauses that begin with 'in order to' are called. Cause/reason clauses, or something like that?



Answer



in order to communicates purpose or intent rather than timing. You can simply use to instead, and your sentence will be correct, but in order to makes explicit the actor's reasoning for performing the first action.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...