Thursday, January 9, 2020

grammaticality - If “I woke up at 10” is okay, what about “I slept at 10”?


When did you wake up?




I woke up at 10.



But then if I say, “When did you sleep?”



I slept at 10. – seems difficult to digest!



That's because sleep is a process that includes duration.



I slept for 10 hours. – this way, it's digestible!




But when I mention the point of time, is it okay?


Strange thing is, if I'm describing my habit/routine, it's perfectly fine..



I sleep at/by 10





I request not to take this question 'logically'. It's about English. Nobody is perfect in timing. Please don't argue that you cannot have 'perfect time' of sleeping because you don't know when you slept. I'm talking about the sentence structure and not precise timings.


By the way, “I slept at 10” is very common in India.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...