Friday, January 10, 2020

Difference between "asked" and "were to ask" in conditional sentences?



What is the difference in the meanings of the following sentences:





  1. If you asked me, I would say no.







  2. If you were to ask me, I would say no.





I know that these sentences express imagination of the speaker. But they look similar to me. I don't know which one is correct to use depending on the different context. Which sentence expresses more possibility of your asking ? I think that 'were to' could also express the meaning 'by chance' or happen to' for example:
1."If you were to ask me (If you happened to ask me or by chance) I would say no."
Am I correct here ?


My question is about difference between these two sentences and which one is correct to use depending on different context. I'm expecting an helpfull answer. Thank you very much in advance.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...