Sunday, January 5, 2020

sentence construction - A multiple choice question


Extracted from a textbook of master.get.com.tw




  1. ______ us the ability to resist disease, but also helps us build our body tissues.
    (A) Vitamin C not only provides
    (B) Not only does vitamin C provide
    (C) Not only vitamin C provides

    (D) Vitamin C, which not only provides



The answer of question number 17 is A, which I know is correct, but Why can't I choose D? They both seem Ok to me.


Thanks!



Answer



Because but also provides requires a verb in the preceding clause which it is countering. but joins two clauses both of which must be able to stand on their own. If the first lacks a verb, it is not a clause. With option D, there is no such verb. The verb there is in the which-clause not in the main clause. A verb in a relative clause does not act as a verb in the main clause.


Consider:



Bill, who lives in London, but also has lived in Paris.ungrammatical



Bill lives in London but has also lived in Paris.



Here, with not only:



Bill, who lives not only in London, but also has a house in Paris.ungrammatical.


Bill lives not only in London but also has a house in Paris.



The subject here, I, lacks a verb:



I, who eat fish, but also like meat. ungrammatical




Grammatical:


I eat fish but also like meat.


Or you can eliminate but:



I, who eat fish, also like meat.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...