Saturday, December 21, 2019

word choice - 'miss call' or 'missed call' when it is 'yet to be missed!'


For many it will be surprising but it is true in India! Often, a person calls on his friend's cell phone and cuts before he picks up. Most of the times it is a 'mutually understood act!' The reasons for that range from saving money to simply notifying someone.


Example: Say, A tells B that once he reaches the venue, he will give B a miss call so that B should understand that A has reached. There is no need to talk or to text because the purpose is just to notify that A has reached! Simple and witty!


Now, on the cellphone of B, it is surely a missed call as it reads '1 missed call from A'. Because it is recent past...so it is 'missed'.


But, I wonder in this case, what do we use?



Okay, when I reach the venue, I'll give you a 'miss or missed call?'




It is a future tense where the call is 'yet to be missed!' That way, it should be 'a miss call,' but my instinct still says it should be 'missed.'



Answer



The common term is



missed call



Since the type of call is intentionally not to be answered (usually the caller will hang up after a ring of two) and it will show up as "missed" on the recipients phone.


The term is widely used in the UK.



I will give you a missed call when I am there.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...