Sunday, December 29, 2019

questions - Is there any good usage example for “Did I tell you”?



As far as I can tell, rephrasing Wikipedia, Simple Past draws attention to actual occurrence of the past action or event, as opposed to its present consequences. (See Present perfect).


Doesn't asking someone a question usually imply some consequences?



Answer



Here is an example. An man and wife are talking and the man says: "Did I tell you about the time I ate ten hamburgers?" The wife sighs and says "Yes honey, you've told me that story a hundred times!" (This sounds better with "Have I told you […]?" instead of "Did I tell you […]?")


or


A man says to his wife "Did I tell you to turn the oven off before we left?" "Did I tell you […]?" is requesting a response.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...