Friday, December 13, 2019

"to be + V-ing / V-ed" Passive or Active?



Please read the following two sentences.



1) "We are concerned over this issue as the list seems to be expanding from drinks to foods"


2) "Samples have been taken to be analyzed"



Today, I found this while I was searching for "to be + ing" pattern. The answerer says that first sentence is in active voice but I can't really understand why. It really seems like to be in passive voice. Could someone please teach me that?



Answer



The difference in the participle marks different constructions:



BE + present participle is the active progressive.

The list is expanding. ... The list seems to be expanding.
We are analyzing the samples. ... We will be analyzing the samples.


BE + past participle is passive.
The list has been expanded. ... The list seems to have been expanded.
The samples have been analyzed. ... The samples will be analyzed.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...