Thursday, September 26, 2019

tense - "If something was" vs "If something were"


Which of these sentences is correct, and why?





  1. "What if the Moon was a Disco ball?" or




  2. "What if the Moon were a Disco ball?"





Answer



We use the preterite (past tense form) when expressing a counterfactuality.




  • If she loved me, I would change my job (but she doesn't love me).


But when it's a form of the verb to be, we can use "were" in place of it.



  • What if the Moon was/were a Disco ball (but it's not).


This form is known as irrealis were. It isn't used for marking tense; it's a mood form indicating that it conveys a degree of remoteness from factuality.


The choice between were and was is a matter of style: were is somewhat more formal than was.





Huddleston and Pullum, A Student's Introduction to English Grammar


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...