Monday, September 23, 2019

Capitalizing family members' names (i.e. nouns, NOT proper nouns)


My daughter's English text book has a note which reads if you are directly talking to a person about the only person in your house, it can be capitalized.


For example:



"Mommy, have you seen my tab?"
"What would I do with it? Ask your Sister. She's fond of playing on it"



I want to confirm the capitalization of 'sister' here. This is new to me, actually!


And yes, it has nothing to do with emphasizing 'sister' that many may think the reason of capitalizing. Say--




"Yes, last night I asked Mommy about it, but then she gave a reluctant smile!"




Answer



From the book 'Painless Grammar' by Rebecca, PhD


Capitalize 'mom' and 'dad' when you are calling your parent's name but not when you refer to 'my mom' and 'my dad'.


CAPS



Hi Mom! Welcome home, Dad



NO CAPS




My father and my mother are busy. Could your mom or dad drive us to the movie?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...