Friday, September 20, 2019

of phrases - The definite article before the word "consistency" and "of"


Do I need to use "the" in the following sentence?


Here goes:



"we need the consistency of performance."



What I saw is that usually "the" is dropped before the word, but I cannot get a handle why. The word "performance" modifies the word "consistency" so I think the article is necessary.


Tell me please if I am wrong.




Answer



Abstract nouns such as "consistency", "beauty", "quality" normally don't take an article, unless we are talking about a specific instance.


So if we were reviewing a particular show or concert we might talk about "the consistency of this performance" or "the consistency of the performance"; if we are talking about an actor's prowess we might say "the consistency of his performance" (even if we are not meaning a single performance, we have still specified it to that actor).


But if we are talking in general, we would say "consistency of performance".


There is not always a clear distinction, and in some cases it is possible with or without an article.


[I've just realised, rereading your post, that it probably relates to performance at work rather than artistic performance, but my reply still works.]


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...