Monday, September 30, 2019

punctuation - Can "A game a few would play" be a valid structure?


This is a line in a "poem", but I have changed two words to "game" and "play" with preserving the sentence exact structure.




Indeed, a game a few would play.



I have searched for this structure which would be (if it is written in general): [noun] + [quantifier] + [verb]. But found nothing similar.


Also, I want to know if it should take a certain punctuation mark between the noun and the quantifier. I think it may be a period as it appeared that there's no structure like that. However, it is only a small pause between the two.



Answer



"Indeed, a game a few would play" sounds fine.


Remember that "a few" means a small, but noteworthy number, sometimes representing an undetermined number from a larger group.


"Few", without the indefinite article, is used to mean scarcely any.





  • "A game a few would play" then means that a small number of people would play it.




  • "A game few would play" would mean a game that not many people engaged in.




As written, I would not insert any pauses other than the comma after "indeed".


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...