Thursday, September 19, 2019

negation - "I'm not afraid" vs "I don't afraid"


Sometimes I hear people say 'I don't afraid...'
For example: 'I don't afraid to be alone'
Or 'I don't afraid of the darkness'.



But is it right?
I've always thought that we can only say: 'I'm not afraid of something' of 'I'm not afraid to do something'
And with 'don't' we can say only to someone: 'Don't be afraid'.


Is it possible to say 'I don't afraid', 'You don't afraid' etc.?



Answer




Is it possible to say 'I don't afraid', 'You don't afraid' etc.?



No. It is not possible. See, the verb "be" (is, are, was..) is a copular verb. When the copular is or an auxiliary verb is present in a clause, we do not use the so-called do-support when forming a negative version of that clause. We add not instead.




It is possible. ("is" is a copular verb)
It is not possible.


It was possible.
It was not possible.


He will laugh. ("will" is an auxiliary verb)
He will not laugh.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...