Saturday, September 7, 2019

word choice - Should versus If


Which is one the best and right one:



Finally, I will be at both focal points' disposals should they need my support.



or




Finally, I will be at both focal points' disposals if they need my support.



And is using "Finally" here correct?



Answer



They're both correct.


If states that x happens, therefore y will happen because of x. This works here.


Should here is what's called an expression of subjunctiveness. The subjunctive refers to things that don't deal with objective facts. It implies wishfulness, possibility, etc. Your second example is called subjunctive with inversion and it is absolutely fine in English.


You can see that here in the example, should you feel hungry.


And the word finally is fine here, if this line is part of a list and this is the final item of that list. In any other context, I'd say it would be more awkward, but I'd have to see that context to know for sure.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...