Sunday, September 8, 2019

What's the meaning of 'land in' in this context?


[He says, I've shoveled acorns enough in there to keep the family thirty years, and if I can see a sign of one of 'em I wish I may land in a museum with a belly full of sawdust in two minutes.]


This is a sentence from a novel 'Baker's blue-jay yarn' by Mark Twain. And That scene shows a blue-jay gets angry because he keeps dropping acorns in some hole but the hole isn't getting full no matter how hard he tries.


I looked up the meaning of 'land in' and the dictionary says that means 1. to make a landing in something 2. to end up in something, such as a mess.


But I don't understand even though knowing the meaning of both 'land in' and 'museum'. What does the sentence above mean?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...