Sunday, September 15, 2019

art - How does a single non-artistic programmer make a game?



I'd like to try my hand at making games. In making some simple ones, I realised I can't do art!


I've tried to find others to help: Most existing teams wouldn't want me because of my limited experience (I'm in high school) and I've been unable to find an available local artist with an appropriate skillset.



How do you guys do it? Do I have to wait until college to see if I like working in games? Is there a way to get free art so I can start messing around on my own? Or am I just having bad luck or looking in the wrong places for others interested?



Answer



I work full-time doing security software, and in my "free" time I work on my game. I'm not spending any money on making my game, I'm only using free software and making my own art. Don't get me wrong, I'm NOT an artist, just a programmer. It's not stopping me though. I just keep chugging away on my game, and I'll worry about making it look really pretty later. Or just make it good enough that the art doesn't matter. For now it's ordained with what I call "Programmer Art". Depending on the type of game you want to make, the art can be really important. But for a lot of games, it's all about the gameplay. Look at Dwarf Fortress. Not really a lot of "art" involved, but the gameplay is great!


If anything, you can get your game built with Microsoft Paint textures and sprites, then you'd have something to show off to get an artist interested.


You should definitely try your hand at making a game. I love making my game. It's the most fun I've ever had programming. Every aspect is a new interesting thing to learn.


Not everyone can do it all, so we just have to make do with the skills we have. Our skill is programming, so that's what we do. I think it's been proven more often than not, that it's the gameplay (programming) that makes or breaks games, not the art.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...