Monday, May 4, 2015

grammar - "the" vs "it" vs "one"


In the following example, can I use the truckit, and one interchangeably? Are they all correct?





  • Yesterday my friend told me someone had parked a truck in our playground but when I got there I could not see the truck.





  • Yesterday my friend told me someone had parked a truck in our playground but when I got there I could not see it.




  • Yesterday my friend told me someone had parked a truck in our playground but when I got there I could not see one.






Answer



In that context, yes, you could use any of the three.


Repeating "the truck" is the least likely, but it is still possible.



"One" says that you could not see any trucks there; "it" says that you could not see the particular truck, but leaves open that there might have been other trucks there.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...