Friday, May 15, 2015

grammar - Turning a subjunctive dependent content clause into a past tense


Here is one sentence with the dependent content clause:



I wish him only one thing, that he find what he wants from his life when he reaches adulthood and has become independent.



I used this sentence in another recent question of mine posted here. There I was told that a speaker of AmE would choose the subjunctive construction "that he find", while a speaker of BrE would choose the simple present construction "that he finds" in the same sentence. So, right now, as can be seen from the quotation above, I am dealing with the American construction, that is, "that he find".


So my question is this: if I wanted to turn this whole sentence into a past tense, would I need to do anything with that "that he find" or could I just leave it as it is?


In other words, should it be like this:



I wished him only one thing, that he found what he wanted from his life when he reached adulthood and had become independent.




or it can be just like this:



I wished him only one thing, that he find what he wanted from his life when he reached adulthood and had become independent.



?



Answer



If you change wish to wished your options include



I wished one thing for him ... that he find what he wanted ...



I wished one thing for him ... that he might find what he wanted ...



Depending on whether he is still searching for his bliss, finds might be viable. It's not clear whether you want to cast everything into the past, or merely the wish. For example, "Last night, when you closed your eyes and made a wish, what was it?"



I wished one thing for him ... that he finds what he wants ...



If the wish concerned someone who had succumbed to a disease ten years ago, and the wish was made before that, while he was still living, and there is no longer a possibility for that wish to come true, then a modal, would or might, would probably be the first choice, and wish could be expressed in the past perfect though that is not a requirement:



I (had) wished that he would find what he wanted


I (had) wished that he might find what he wanted




And you could also use the subjunctive there:



I had wished that he find what he wanted.



But to my ear the simple present is not grammatical when there is no longer a possibility of the wish coming true:



I (had) wished that he finds what he wanted.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...