Wednesday, May 20, 2015

tense - "The front door slid open" grammar explanation



The front door slid open.



I am curious about "slid open" in this context. Is "slid" a verb or an adverb? Is "open" a verb or not?


Is a "slide open" a phrasal verb like "push open"?



Answer




I wouldn't call it a phrasal verb. In phrasal verbs, the the two words together take on an entirely new meaning. For example, when I say:



Why don't you grow up?



I don't mean, "Why don't you grow taller?"; I mean, "Why don't you act more mature?"


However, when I say:



Would you please slide the door open.



I mean exactly what the two words mean: open the door, by sliding it.





The next part of your question is interesting. My first thought was that slide is the verb and open is an adverb:




  • Please slide the door open.




  • Please slide the door closed.





  • Please slide the door to let some fresh air in.




But that last one seems a bit peculiar. It seems like I am trying to say:



  • Please open the door to let some fresh air in.


Which made me wonder if open is the verb and slide is the adverb.




Back to your sentence:




The front door slid open.



I think slid is the verb in that sentence. Why? Because that's the word I would change when I'm changing the tense of the sentence:



  • The front door slid open.

  • The front door is sliding open.

  • The front door will slide open.


The word open functions as an adverb – we can confirm this by replacing open with other adverbs:




  • The front door slid noisily.

  • The front door is sliding roughly.

  • The front door will slide tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...