Thursday, May 14, 2015

difference - "had they known" or "if they had known"


Can this:




These same officials, however, would have been appalled had they known what was going on behind this façade of self-help.



be rephrased as



These same officials, however, would have been appalled if they had known what was going on behind this façade of self-help.



?



Answer



The rephrasing is fine, however, the first leans towards the formal stylistically.


In general, the hypothetical if clauses (if + were/had) can be replaced with the construction "had/were (subject)."



For example:


"If I had known, I would have acted sooner" -> "Had I known, I would have acted sooner" "If he were taller, he could reach the ceiling" -> "Were he taller, he could reach the ceiling"


There are stylistic issues that make some replacements sound awkward and stiff.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...