Monday, May 11, 2015

definite article - Can I omit "the" in this sentence?



Dan has already given you a sense of the dramatic change that occurred between the '20s and the '30s.



Can I omit the second highlighted the in this sentence? I know there is a thing called ellipsis, that allows you instead of writing the A and the B just write the A and B.




Answer



When words are joined by a conjunction, they often share a common article. As long as they're not interrupted by other words, there's no problem.


It's simply not necessary to write between the 20s and the 30s. As long as they agree in number, and are using the same article (i.e. this doesn't work with an a/an combination), it's fine.


In your example, I prefer not omitting the, but that's a style choice, so follow your own preference here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...