Tuesday, May 19, 2015

american english - exponential in terms of?


I'm speaking about a particular quantity, let us call it the number of gizmos, which depends on the number of thingums, doodahs, and hickeys. Mathematically, we have a function g which is represented by an expression with variables t, d, and h.


Now, I want to roughly say that g(t,d,h) ≤ , where a and b are some expressions exceeding 1 and depending on t and d, but not on h.



Intentionally simplifying, I wrote:



The number of gizmos is exponential in the number of hickeys.



In this style, I used to write for over a decade. But my English teacher corrected the sentence to



The number of gizmos grows exponentially in terms of the number of hickeys.



I can live with "grows" but find "terms of" strange. Which version is right? If both, which style is preferred in math papers?


I welcome answers from mathematicians who are native AmE speakers and have an excellent command of English.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...