Friday, October 4, 2019

word choice - Why is it "arrived in" and not "arrived to" or "arrived at" in the following sentence?


This is the sentence:



He’d miss Japan once he'd arrived in/at/to Hawaii.



A native English Speaker told me that it was in. I found that strange, because I always see "arrived at" and "arrived to," but I rarely see "arrived in."



Answer



We arrive in a country, territory, or large city, e.g. arrive in Canada, arrive in California; we arrive at a smaller place or specific location or point, e.g. arrive at the North Pole, arrive at John's house, arrive at the crossroads; we don't use 'to' after 'arrive'.




Warning: We don’t say arrive to a place



Arrive (Cambridge Dictionary)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...