Monday, October 14, 2019

greetings - What should we greet a person at 10 o'clock in the night?


This actually had happened when I was about to relieve a medical officer from his duty at night. I was appointed for the night-shift and had to relieve my co-worker from his evening shift.


Which way I greet a person whom I am meeting at night 10 o'clock (or for that sake up till midnight). One ore thing, this is the case wherein I'm meeting that person for the first time in a 24-hr clock (day? night?).




Good evening doc! What's the order for the patients tonight (or is it today?)?
Good night doc! What's the order for the patients tonight (or is it today?)?
Good astronimical dusk (huh!) doc! What's the order for the patients tonight (or is it today?)?




Answer



Good evening. Good night is definitely for good-bye's only, not as a greeting.


As to whether you'd use "today" or "tonight", that might be a convention of that profession, or that particular set of people, so I don't think anyone can give you a single good answer for that.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...