Monday, October 7, 2019

word choice - A comparison betwen "aid", "help" and "relief"


I have had a look on the definitions of these three similar words in dictionaries, but unfortunately I cannot differentiate between them! For more clarification I have provided you with a sentence using them where I cannot distinguish their meanings:





  • He held a concert in aid of the earthquake-stricken people.

  • He held a concert for earthquake-stricken people relief.

  • He held a concert in order to help earthquake-stricken people.



‎ Or





  • He gets around with the aid of a walking stick.

  • He gets around with the help of a walking stick.



As another example I don't know what to say in the following sentence to sound natural:




  • I hope I can do that with your help / with your aid / etc.




The only think that strikes me is that:




  • Aid and relief --- are more about the situation that someone is in need while help can be used in any circumstance.



Please let me know about them.
Added:
some other structures that I'm not sure which one sounds natural:





  • She went to the aid of a man trapped in his car.

  • She went to the help of a man trapped in his car.
    She went to assist a man trapped in his car.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...