Wednesday, October 30, 2019

What should be learned for someone starting in Android Games?



I know this might be a little subjective. But I've read the other questions. A lot of answers kept on popping up like to use box2d, libgdx, andEngine, etc. So the real question is, what would be the best to start off with as a beginner.


I have some experience with java code, just by reading about in the Oracle Docs. I've gone through Flash and Eclipse. When i mean gone through, i don't mean i have actually created my own game from Flash or Eclipse, but i just learn things here and there.



Currently I'm reading Beginning Android for Beginners but I don't have the knowledge to implement my own Ideas into the game tutorials because of lack of experience.


I'm looking for a way to learn how to program to create games for Android. While at the same time get experience from programming. I do not want to learn those drag and drop game making applications such as GameMaker.


I'm looking just to make 2D games.



Answer



The best way to start making games would be to start making games. Don't get caught up with too many details such as which books should I read or what engine should I use, just pick something and get started. Every moment you spend debating how to start is a moment you've lost. You're first few projects probably won't be your best work anyways. The important thing is that you start gaining experience with making games. So don't worry about perfection, just get started.


Do you have any ideas for a game you would like to create? Try to define the game as precisely as possible before you start coding. Focus on identifying your "core" concepts, what makes the game fun. For example: the core concept of Portal is the portal mechanics, going in one and out the other. From that core, they designed puzzles, action, and story that build off of the ability to create portals. A core concept is usually a game mechanic, although it can sometimes be something else like a theme in the story. Just focus on your core while designing your game and don't add too much extra while you're just getting started. Keep your goals and designs as small as possible because creating a game is infinitely more work than it first appears to be. Stay focused, stay small, and get started.


If you don't have an idea for a game already, a good place to start would be cloning a popular or classic game. Many developers start by making Breakout or Tetris. You can even put your own ideas into it if you'd like.


Good luck and have fun! Also, welcome to GameDev!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...