Wednesday, August 15, 2018

word meaning - To 'chisel' some territory - what does it mean? (from the Godfather)


From the Godfather movie:




Barzini's people chisel my territory and we do nothing about it. Soon I'll have no place in Brooklyn to hang my hat.



The only meaning I've found for the word chisel is



a tool with a flat metal blade used for cutting wood or stone



It also means doing some work with that tool. In the context it seems nonsensical to say the least, so I guess it's an idiomatic expression. I'd also guess that Barzini's people getting control in his ground, gradually pushing him out of his affairs there.



Answer



A chisel is indeed a tool used for cutting wood or stone. When used, it removes small pieces of the wooden or stone object, making that object smaller and smaller with each hit.



So here, Barzini's people are stealing small pieces of territory at a time, making the speaker's territory smaller and smaller.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...