Sunday, August 26, 2018

ellipsis - Why is a preposition sometimes optional?


This question arises after seeing this thread.


Consider the following sentences -





  1. There is no point discussing this here (Between "point" and "discussing", there is a "in" and that is optional. And I am omitting it purposefully for asking my doubt)




  2. Do you see any point in filling up all the forms?





  3. There is no use filling up the forms. ("using "in" after "use" is optional here)




  4. What is the use of filling up these forms?





My question is -



Why in some sentences omitting prepositions like this is optional and why in some cases placing preposition is a must?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...