Thursday, August 30, 2018

articles - "the most X" or "most of the X" in this sentence


I wrote:



In the worst case, when the most patterns are defined using either “Parent” or “Common Ancestor” options, a sub-tree of the DOM-tree must be revisited after visiting some nodes, which are assumed to be all the nodes in the worst case.



I am talking about specific patterns and nodes. So, I thought maybe it should be:



In the worst case, when most of the patterns are defined using either “Parent” or “Common Ancestor” options, a sub-tree of the DOM-tree must be revisited after visiting some of the nodes, which are assumed to be all of the nodes in the worst case.



Are these two sentences equal? I think the second sentence is what I want because I am talking about specific nodes and patterns, but are there shorter ways to say the bold phrases without ".. of the .."?



Can "the most patterns" be equal to "most of the patterns"? I think no, since the "the" in the former indicates the top group of something general...


Besides, How can I avoid repeating "in the worst case" in the sentence above?


Can I shorten the last part to:



In the worst case, when most of the patterns are defined using either “Parent” or “Common Ancestor” options, a sub-tree of the DOM-tree must be revisited after visiting every node in the worst case.



I want to say the some nodes in the worst case are assumed to be all the nodes.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...