Tuesday, August 7, 2018

gerunds - "They're going gorilla watching" - is there a verb at the end of the sentence?


In this sentence:



They're going gorilla watching.



what's the function of the verb watching?


Is it a verb? a noun? ... maybe gorilla watching means "mirador de gorilas", in spanish?



In English, I have not seen a verb at the end of a sentece.



Answer




They are going gorilla watching.



The key verb here is are, it forms the Present Progressive tense together with the present participle going.


The word watching it not really a full-fledged verb but a gerund: it functions as a noun. It is used here to describe the activity of "watching gorillas".


We use the go + ..ing structure to describe activities in which people are free to move about and which have no fixed beginning or end:





  • "Let's go skating today!" (let us go to the skating rink and skate some time there: the proposed activity is skating)

  • "No, let's go watching gorillas today!" (let us go to the zoo and watch the gorillas there for some time: the proposed activity is watching)

  • "Oh, I didn't know you liked gorilla watching!" (I didn't know you liked this activity: gorilla watching)



The word gorilla is used as an adjective to describe the noun word watching.



I like trainspotting. (I like to spot trains)
I like birdwatching! (I like to watch birds)
I like gorilla watching. (I like to watch gorillas)




When a noun like "gorilla" is used in the adjective sense, it is called "noun adjunct".


Gorilla watching is not a very popular pastime: if more people start spending their free time watching gorillas, the two words might fuse into "gorillawatching", like "birdwatching".




Reference: Michael Swan, Practical English Usage, Unit 228 (on "go + ..ing"), Units 293-300 (on participles and gerunds).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...