Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Sequence of tenses for facts irrelevant of the moment of speech


Let's consider two sentences:



(1) I suggested that the word zeitgeist was of German origin.
(2) The lecturer said the Pluto's orbital period is more than 200 years.




In both cases, the facts are always valid and irrelevant of the moment of speech and context. I've heard sequence of tenses is not required in such cases. Are past and present tenses interchangeable in both of them? Would it be correct to say:



(1) I suggested that the word zeitgeist is of German origin.
(2) The lecturer said the Pluto's orbital period was more than 200 years.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...