Thursday, August 2, 2018

unity - Create a seemless grid-based polygonal tileset


The aesthetics I am going for is demonstrated by many simulation games such as Simcity. But I am looking at this particular example: Polygonal Planet Project by Oskar Stålberg.


planet project


I understand the concept: when the player places or upgrades a tile, the game looks at adjacent tiles to figure out which tile should be used. And in most cases, a tile would be self-contained, so I just need to design all possible variant of such tile.


And I have some experience on procedural generation in 3D, so coding isn't the main problem for me.


What I am wondering, are:



  • Does this type of continuous 3D tilesets have a name? I tried to google some examples/tutorials but failed to find the appropriate keyword.


  • Are there tools to make the process of creating tile variants easier?

  • Is there a preferable process to create such tileset? Do I start by creating structures then divide them into repeatable patterns, or should I start with basic tiles and find way to create smooth transition between them?


That's probably too much to answer in detail, but I would like some pointers on this topic (more about asset design than programming I suppose). Thx!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...