Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Past Perfect VS Past Simple in the context of previous experience


I have three extracts:



1st:



A: Do you know this man?


B: Yes, I had met him before war, but I haven't seen him since that time.



2nd:



A: Is he a student?


B: Yes, he studies at our university. He worked at our university. He worked at our factory before he entered the university. He isn't working any longer.




3rd:



A: Where does he work?


B: He isn't working now. He's a student. He worked at our factory before he entered the university.



Once I posted the first sentences having asked about the acceptability of using Past Perfect in that context. The answer was that "war" isn't a "reference time", so that I had to use Past Simple in the examples 2 and 3, meaning that "working" was a habitual action that is no longer valid.


But what does "reference time" mean?



Answer



When you wrote "before" you were describing a point in time, but following it with "war" is incorrect.


You reference a time (before) but are unclear about the specific time.



Writing "war" does not indicate a time.


The correct way to write it would have been:



B: Yes, I met him before the war, but I haven't seen him since that time.



If you want to get really specific:



B: Yes, I met him before WWII.
B: Yes, I met him before the war in (place name).
B Yes, I met him before the war of 1812.

B: Yes, I met him before the war started.
B: Yes, I met him before the war ended.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...