Wednesday, October 11, 2017

tense - "He saw it stop and his son get out"


I have been reading Men With Brooms for a few days. I read a sentence which did not make any sense to me, so I landed here to get some help on it. I have pasted the sentence from the novel. Please go through it and let me know your valuable feedback on it.


An excerpt from the novel (Men With Brooms: A Sweeping Epic, paperback 2002, a novelization by Diane Baker Mason):



Gordon was about to walk away from the Impala when he saw it stop and his son get out. So it was real the boy had come.




As per my opinion it should have been:



Gordon was about to walk away from the Impala when he saw it stopped and his son got out. So it was real the boy had come.



I have two questions here:



  1. Why did the writer use stop and get instead of stopped and got? As she is telling us a story which happened in the past.

  2. Let's say the writer is telling us her mind's situation and she used the present tense for it but why did she use stop and get instead of stops and gets?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...