Monday, October 30, 2017

Indefinite article before uncountable "drink" nouns, e.g. "a water"


I have been reading Bad for You (a novel) for the last seven days. I have seen in the novel that the writer used the indefinite article a before a uncountable noun water.




I glanced at Linc again. His grin was still in place, but he rolled his eyes as if he was amused with his dad.


“Okay, well, thank you. It didn’t take me too long to get settled in though,” I said, feeling the need to say something. I wasn’t good with small talk.


“Good. I’m glad you’re ready to dive in. Please, have a seat. Can Linc get you a water?”



However, I do not think that we can put the indefinite articles (a and an) before uncountable nouns (water, milk, wine). As per my opinion, the author should have said:



“Good. I’m glad you’re ready to dive in. Please, have a seat. Can Linc get you a glass of water?”


“Good. I’m glad you’re ready to dive in. Please, have a seat. Can Linc get you a bottle of water?”





No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...